Super Easy to Make Sandwiches or Salad
Sandwiches do not appeal to me, so I am always searching for quick lunch ideas that do not need to be slapped between 2 slices of bread. Really it’s the squishy bread that bothers me because I do eat sandwiches if they come on a potato bun. I love potato bread. I guess that’s the Irish in me peaking out.
This easy salad can be made with your own pre cooked chicken breast or canned chunk chicken breast. Using canned chicken is not normally a common practice for me and most people should avoid it because of the high sodium content in canned food. I suggest it now because we are currently in a situation where we may be forced to use our reserves or use what is available at the store.
Since my kids started college I have been inspired to post simple recipes for young people making their first attempts at feeding themselves. I remember vividly the day I learned that a college friend of mine had no idea how to make the simplest meals. She had never made Macaroni & Cheese from a box and she was 20 years old. How does that happen? The likelihood of this prospect seems even more likely in today’s world of convenience.
I feel that learning how to cook simple food in order to feed yourself is an important skill to learn, especially before leaving for college, and truly the earlier the better. It empowers the kids, helps them to learn to live a healthy lifestyle and it will save them, and you, money in the long run. Our food choices play a huge role in how we think and feel and you are never to young to learn that connection.
This simple chicken salad is nutritious and the crunchy apple pieces add texture to an otherwise bland mixture. Try, or better yet, have your son or daughter make it for you. Make an open face sandwich topped with a slice of cheese for extra packed protein lunch
Chicken Salad with Green Apples
- April 26, 2020
- 10 min
- Print this
- 2 cooked chicken breast or 1 (12 oz) canned chicken breast
- 1 rib celery thinly sliced
- 2-4 T mayonnaise
- 1/2 green apple chopped to 1/2 pieces
- cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- Step 1
- Drain can of chicken and break up chicken pieces or shred or chop precooked breasts into small bite size pieces and put into a medium bowl
- Step 2
- Add celery, apple pieces to chicken and mix in 2 Tablespoons of mayonnaise. Add mayonnaise in small amounts to your taste. Top with tomato.
- Step 3
- Serve on a bed of lettuce with toast or on sliced bread for a sandwich