Looking for a meal that will stretch?
The time has come where we all are practicing to adapt, conserve and simplify life.
When you can’t just pop into the grocery store if you forgot that last item on your list, you need to a recipe that will adapt with your needs. When you can’t count on the grocery store having what you need at all, you need to conserve those items you do have and stretch what you have into meals that fill you up and satisfy the family.
When you need something that will step up to the plate and bring it home for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
This casserole answers the call and can do it all.
After assembly it does need to sit in the refrigerator overnight so this is not a throw together and viola type of meal but, put it together the night before and you have got yourself a fabulous breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner the next day!
And what I love about making it the day before is that it frees up so much time to do other things you enjoy or nothing at all -if that makes you happy.
Another thing to love about this casserole is that it’s so easy to swap one ingredient for another if you find yourself low. I have made this using different varieties of ground sausage as well as ham and bacon, not all at the same time. The results are incredible no matter which meat you prefer and actually, if you want to try it with bacon and sausage it will double the pleasure when you eat it. Yum!
Just don’t overload it with so much meat that it cooks unevenly.
It is best to use a loaf of unsliced bread so that you have control over the thickness of the slice. About a 1/2″ slice works very well but if you can’t get hold of an unsliced loaf use a heartier type rather than a thin white wonder bread variety. It is soaking overnight in the egg mixture so you can imagine the bread softens up considerably.
Cheesy Sausage Overnight Casserole
- March 26, 2020
- Print this
- 1/2 lb Ground sausage (any type)
- 6 slices thick bread (enough to cover bottom)
- 2 c shredded cheese(, mixed variety cheddar, gruyere, swiss,)
- 2 c milk
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 c sliced green onion
- 1-2 t Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 pepper
- Step 1
- Brown sausage and use wooden spoon to crumble into small size pieces while cooking and then drain .
- Step 2
- Lightly grease a 13×9 baking dish and line with bread and top with crumbled sausage and then cheese. Sprinkle onion over the top of cheese.
- Step 3
- In medium bowl whisk eggs briskly then add milk and use whisk to combine thoroughly. Whisk in remaining ingredients then pour over top of cheese.
- Step 4
- Cover casserole and refrigerate overnight.
- Step 5
- Heat oven to 350 °(don’t put dish directly from fridge into oven)
- Step 6
- Bake for 30 minutes or until edges are bubbly and center is set and knife comes out clean.