Chocolatey drops from heaven
This recipe is adapted from the PCC Community Markets Cooking from Scratch.
These decadent little drops of heavenly glory almost melt in your mouth. The consistency brings to mind a truffle-like experience. I know you will not be disappointed the day you give these a try.
You can cook them longer to make them more crisp, but why would you? They are perfect. The cookie is actually a little crispy crunchy on the outside and then your teeth just sink in and slide through the middle.
I am partial to dark chocolate so in this recipe I used only dark chocolate 60% bittersweet chips but you could use a combination of bittersweet and semi sweet or milk chocolate.
I did in fact run out of the 60% cocoa chocolate when I was making these once so used 6 ounces of dark 60% cocoa and 2 ounces of semi-sweet. That batch turned out to be delicious too!
No one could tell they were any different but the flavor was less intense.
I use the Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate baking bar and/or the Ghirardelli baking chips whenever I can because the chocolate is more balanced and rich and just better tasting.
This translates to a rich intensely chocolate cookie.
These are very easy to mix up
I love that there are only a few ingredients. Melting the chocolate in the microwave speeds up the process but you do have to put the dough in the fridge for at least 2 hours to firm it up enough to actually roll into a ball shape.
If you need to let it sit overnight that works just as well, just keep in mind that the the dough will need to sit a little bit once removed from the fridge to soften enough to get your spoon into it. The dough can be a little tough to spoon out when it is cold from the fridge. It is important to get the chocolate balls rolled into the same size ball so that all the cookies on the sheet cook evenly.
For quicker clean up use parchment paper on your baking sheet as well as your wire rack. These little guys drop lots of powder.
Try this rich gluten free chocolate crinkle recipe and let me know what you think.
Chocolate Crinkle - Gluten Free
- September 26, 2019
- Makes 2 dozen
- 2 hr 40 min
- Print this
- 8oz bittersweet baking chips or baking bar
- 3T butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 C sugar
- 3/4 Gluten free flour - Bob's Red Mill
- Powdered sugar
- Step 1
- In a microwave safe bowl break baking bar into smaller pieces or pour chips into bowl and microwave on high in 15 second intervals. Stirring between each until chocolate is smooth
- Step 2
- Add the butter to warm chocolate and stir to combine until no yellow remains. Set aside.
- Step 3
- In bowl of electric mixer beat eggs on medium high and gradually add sugar.
- Step 4
- Beat mixture about 5-8 minutes until pale yellow and thickened enough to stretch ribbon like when beater is lifted.
- Step 5
- With spatula, gently fold in the chocolate mixture until no yellow remains.
- Step 6
- Gently fold in the flour and combine well.
- Step 7
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours
- Step 8
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Step 9
- Scoop dough into approximately 1 inch balls and roll in powdered sugar. Place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake 11 minutes or until center is set and springs back to touch. Bake 13 minutes for crunchier cookie.
- Step 10
- Transfer to wire rack to cool