I have the perfect little cookie
Need a cookie you can trust?
Need a cookie you can take anywhere?
Tired of making the same old recipe every time?
Look no further. This easy to put together slice and bake cookie is the one you have been waiting for. The tart, buttery sugar cookie blended with the just the right amount of lemon will get you rave reviews every single time.
There are a number of reasons to love slice and bake cookies:
- Time for preparation is drastically cut
- Size and shape is uniform
- Make what you need and save the rest
- Freeze well
Using the slice and bake method requires that you shape the dough and refrigerate it for a time and bake the cookies later. When the dough has chilled you slice the rolled dough and put it on sheets for the oven. Slicing is so much more efficient, not to mention neater than the spoon drop method.
When you are ready to bake the cookies, take out only what you need at that time. If you are short on time just take out one roll and that makes about 2 dozen cookies and takes you about 15 minutes. The remaining dough can safely keep in the fridge to be used the next day or frozen for a later date. Put the wrapped dough in a ziploc bag, press the air and seal tightly. Defrost in the fridge or set on the counter before you use it.
Some cookie recipes make so much dough it feels like you are in the kitchen putting trays in and out of the oven all afternoon. Spooning out each cookie struggling to get them all the same size. And all that dough just sitting in the bowl tempting me to taste it one more time.
Before you know it these will become your new favorite
I love using the slice and bake method because the entire process seems cleaner and quicker and all the cookies come out the same size. They are great for hostess gifts, holiday gifting or this year’s Annual Cookie Exchange. I promise you, people will be talking about you for weeks, in a good way.
Here is the recipe you have been waiting for all your life. These irresistible lemon sugar crisps will disappear before your eyes, so do yourself a favor and mix up another batch.
Go ahead and try it and be sure to let me know what you love about them.
Slice and Bake Lemon Crisps
- April 8, 2020
- Print this
- 1/3 C unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 C shortening
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1/2 t lemon extract
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 11/2 C flour
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- confectioners sugar for dusting cookies
- parchment paper or plastic wrap
- Step 1
- In large bowl cream butter sugar and shortening until light and fluffy then add lemon juice and extracts
- Step 2
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt
- Step 3
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture. Mix together until soft dough forms
- Step 4
- Divide dough in half and shape into about an 8″ roll on a large piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper
- Step 5
- Wrap the rolled dough in the parchment paper or wrap and repeat with other half
- Step 6
- Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight
- Step 7
- Set oven to 350°
- Step 8
- Slice rolled dough into 1/4 ” rounds
- Step 9
- Put on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper for easy clean up
- Step 10
- For a softer cookie bake 7 minutes then remove from oven leave cookies on tray for 1-2 minutes to set
- Step 11
- For a crisper browner cookie bake for 8-9 minutes. Remove cookies from tray to cool on wire racks
- Step 12
- Dust with confectioners sugar