Company coming? Don’t worry about it.
This egg scramble casserole could be breakfast, lunch or dinner.
This recipe comes from Around the Table our family cookbook. Submitted by Monica A. Kalina under the breakfast category. I love these kinds of meals because you can substitute ingredients easily and they are great any time of the day. This is an overnight casserole which are really great if you have houseguests or during holidays when time is limited. Also great if you come from a large family like my cousin, Monica, and need something quick that will feed a crowd.
I do not have a large family so I cut this recipe in half and it fit perfectly in an 8×8 baking dish. I used shredded sharp cheddar cheese, chopped a sweet red pepper instead of ham to make it vegetarian friendly and I did not bother with mushrooms because our in-house vegetarian is not a fan.
I have never made a breakfast casserole like this where you scramble the eggs a bit before adding them to the other ingredients. I really like how it turned out once the entire casserole was baked and will definitely make it again. It had a lot more body to it than typical the softer, sometimes mushy version of a baked egg casserole.
One additional step I took was to put it under the broiler on high for 2-3 minutes after baking to brown the bread crumbs on top a little more.
We really enjoyed our veggie version of the Adams’ Egg Scramble casserole but ,for one look forward to the next time when I add a little ham or even sausage. A loaded breakfast casserole – even better!
Give this family recipe a try and tell whether you ate for breakfast lunch or dinner in a comment below.
- June 22, 2020
- Print this
- 2T butter
- 2T flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 2 c milk
- 1 c shredded cheese or velveeta
- 1/4 c chopped onion
- 3 T butter or olive oil
- 1 c diced ham
- 12 beaten eggs
- 1 3 oz can mushrooms (opt.)
- 21/4 c soft bread crumbs (3 slices)
- 1/8 t paprika
- Step 1
- In sauce pan, melt 2 T butter, blend in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk and cook on medium heat stirring constantly until bubbly. Stir in cheese until melted and set aside. Sauté onion in 3 T butter until tender then add ham and pour eggs into pan and scramble just until set about 5 mins. Add mushrooms to cheese sauce. Fold cooked eggs in to sauce and stir to combine. Pour mixture into 9×13 baking dish.
- Step 2
- Add little more butter to pan if needed add bread crumbs stir to moisten Sprinkle bread crumbs over the casserole and top with paprika to taste. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Step 3
- Do not put cold pan directly into hot oven. Preheat oven to 350°
- Step 4
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Broil on high for 3 minutes to brown the bread crumbs (optional)