In time of test, family is best —Burmese proverb
I am confidant that 99% of my family would agree with that proverb. The remaining 1% being those stubborn folk who just don’t like to agree on anything. We all have a few of those types in our families, right?
We don’t always give our families the credit they are due for having our backs in time of crisis. It is clear every time I read the news that the trials we have faced in the nation, in our communities and within our families over the last few months have put many relationships to the test. Be part of the solution not the problem within your family or community and strive for positive change for the good of the relationship.
Maybe, like me, you have taken advantage of this opportunity during the pandemic to rekindle or repair relationships that needed a little mending. When life gets busy and stressful it easy to put family on the back burner while you take care of things that seem more urgent on those front burners.
Have you found that your priorities shifted? I think we have all come to see the view outside our windows a little differently and you need not be afraid or upset about the changes you see. Things are just different.
During my stay at home I have been watching the view through my window change but also diligently working inside making my way through my family cookbook ,Around the Table. I am attempting to make every recipe in order to post and preserve here on my blog for the convenience of all as well as little nostalgia. The other day I came across a couple very tempting artichoke and cheese dip recipes.
Talk about different! I often wonder how some of the most bazaar looking vegetables ended up on someone’s plate.
You had me at Artichoke Dip
Eating an artichoke could be a non-starter for some people and I totally relate to that. Holding up one those armor covered vegetables and I just shake my head, but
mix up some artichoke hearts with mayo, add plenty of cheese and bake them and you can thank me later.
Bottled artichokes are a breeze to use in any recipe. Fresh artichokes are whole different ball game. I’ll be honest and admit I have never attempted to cook one because they look so intimidating. One day I will.
The following recipe from my cousin Michaele calls for bottled artichokes so don’t worry. This recipe is very similar to Aunt Peggy’s Artichoke Dip in Wonton Cups but without the self serve cups. In fact, they are so similar I made both recipes on the same day because the ingredients were nearly the same and I had a couple of people around willing to taste test the results.
Ali and Mia, would have eaten the entire bowl of this creamy cheesy artichoke dip with the plate of pita chips if I had let them. I kept removing the tray to take pictures so they got fed up with me and went in search of something else…or waited until the next appetizer in the wonton cups came out of the oven, if memory serves. Both the Hot Artichoke Dip and the Artichoke Dip in Wonton Cups got 5 star reviews from my in-house critics.
Over the last few months if you have come to realize you may need to mend a few fences, I suggest you mix up a batch of this Hot Artichoke Dip and let it smooth the way. You will be back in good graces and next time the gate will swing wide for you.
Be sure to leave me a comment when that happens!
Hot Artichoke Dip
- August 22, 2020
- 30 min
- Print this
- 1 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 c parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 c mozzarella
- 3/4 c mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a baking dish
- Step 2
- In medium bowl combine all ingredients and mix well then pour into baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Step 3
- When bubbly remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving
- Step 4
- Serve with pita chips, crackers or slices of toasted french bread